So I got back from Valle Crusis today where I have been frolicking through the snow and ruing the mountain peoples for possessing more red blood cells than I. There seriously is a noticeable shortage of air in Boone than here in the piedmont. Deeper breaths are required for survival. I was quite excited at the prospect of snow when I heard the news that Valle Crusis was blanketed with a good three inches of it. In fact when we first arrived we were all infatuated with the powdery wonderness of it (no, I do not care if wonderness is a word or not thank you very much). This could probably be attributed to the fact that none of us piedmonters have seen proper snow for years. Even when snow has bothered to grace us with its presence it has always been wet, icy unpleasantness, but up in the beautiful mountains the ground was skirted with the dryest, most powdery snow in exsistence so much so that we were hard pressed to pack it into snowballs and have a proper snowball fight. But we went through all of the snow rituals, building snowmen and making snowangels and throwing it into eachother's hair and faces. I felt like I was seven years old. But probably the most comical of all was Shannon who had never seen so much snow in one place in her entire life. Of course she is from Florida and all of the icy roads scared the crap out of her. I actually had to walk arm in arm with her so she would'nt fall over while we made our way down the hill from the annex back to the bunkhouse between meals. I was, however, glad that she could see so much snow before she lost the childish urge to become so excited over it. Unfortunately for me, though, I came down with something last night right before a scrumptious dinner of lasagna and caesar salad. My head is still all foggy, and it feels as if I have a fever. But the thermometer does not lie (at least not to my knowledge) and it says that I am just fine so I suppose I must trust its judgement. Anyway, the vacation was EXTREMELY needed and although I still feel yucky I'm incredibly grateful for the exposure to snow. Who knows when I'll see it again.
PEACE







3 comments:
Hooray for an honorable mention ;)
Ah, this weekend was such fun.
Stay off the icy roads kids, they're out to get you.
oh puleeze. you just cant hack it cuz youre from FLOR-da
(love you shannon!)
:)
Well there's that too.....
love you too dear. :)
Post a Comment