Valle Crusis


Food for Thought

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Book You Should Pick Up And Read Like Now

Feed by M.T. Anderson

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What came first? The chicken, or the milk?



Well, as everyone may not be aware of, today is my mother's birthday. I will not reveal how old she is no matter how much any of you beg. Anyway, earlier tonight we went to Max&Erma's for dinner. (I got this amazing Tuscan chicken with artichokes and mushrooms in an herb butter sauce. Talk about delicious and probably completely fattening!). Well, my brother, my father, and I all got into a little argument while we chewed out simply scrumptious entres. Now, I'm not quite sure how this all got started, but it came to be that we were fighting over whether or not the egg is considered a dairy product. (Oh yes, we're deep people). My father's argument was that since the egg is located under the dairy sign at the Food Lion (which apparently a grocery store food placing is an authority on this matter) then they were, in fact, a dairy product. My brother and I were not impressed with this extraordinarily inferior tidbit of information. I mean come on people, dairy is a category that is described by any food made with milk. MILK. That comes from a cow, or a goat, or any such animal with utters. Last time I checked, chickens didn't have utters. They have eggs. Which has absoloutly nothing to do with milk. Well, it seems that my father believes that since he is now a doctor, he just automatically knows that what he says is true. (I tried to kindly point out that he is a doctor of THEOLOGY. Not eggs. But apparently you can learn a plethor of things that have absoloutly nothing to do with God in seminary). Well of course as soon as we got home, all three of us HAD to know. I would like to thank http://www.ochef.com/ for this lovely answer to our question!


But nowadays, the word dairy only has to do with milk and cream and related products: sour cream, butter, cheese, yogurt, etc. You may often find eggs and dairy categorized together (several Ochef directory pages lump them together, for example), but they remain as distinct as the species from which they come.


And so I must say to my father...BAM! (With, I'm sure the accompaniment of my brother). The egg is not a dairy product. How in the world does my family get into such arguments? Last time it was whether or not macaroni and cheese was a vegetable. But, that's a different story.


PEACE

8 comments:

beav said...

hm *yawn*

Caldair said...

That's actually an interesting argument...

Caitlin said...

Oh it was getting heated there for awhile.

Caldair said...

Yeah...at least you didn't start an entire War over it!

I HAVE NO REGRETS!!!!!!!!! METROID WILL FALL BENEATH MY FIST!!!!!!!

NoCheezburgers said...

My sis and I get into debates such as this so of course I couldn't pass this one up.

I consulted Wikipedia and this is what it says: Eggs are sometimes categorized as dairy, defining dairy as "food that is produced by animals (other than meat)" rather than as milk specifically. For example, the Open Directory Project at one point listed cooking eggs as a subcategory of cooking dairy products.

Caldair said...

Yeah, well Wikepedia can be altered-I know, i've done it.

Shannon said...

Haha. Eggs are definitely not dairy. This is a very interesting argument though.

Caitlin said...

Yeah, wikipedia isn't the best source for information. Anyone can go on there and put whatever they want.


High five Shannon!