The road feels rough beneath my bare feet, polished and not used to the harsh realities of the real world. It occurrs to me that, in my position, I could have brought with me a pair of shoes that could stand up to any weather. I think of my rubber rain boots gathering dust beneath my bed at home, and the hiking boots that are shoved in the conrner of my closet. They had never gotten much wear, but now I long for them to be in my suitcase, calling for me to put them on. I jump from foot to foot as I make my way down the road, trying to avoid the searing heat that the asphalt attracts. Soon, though, I turn onto the plush grass, letting it cool the shallow burns on my heels. In a fit of tiredness, I lay out my blanket, watching it drape across the grass almost as beautifully as it had when Linda, the cleaning lady, fixed it in the morning. She would bring me tea, and we would laugh politely at her maid's jokes even though both of us knew very well that none of them were funny. I sigh. Those days are long behind me. As soon as my blanket hits the ground, I know I am going to have to pick it up again. Tired as I may be, it is too hot to sleep. I think of home again, as hard as I tried not to. I think of last week, when this whole messy business started...
I layed out on the veranda by the pool, groping for the jar of lemonade that Linda had placed on the table. Soon, though, I gave up on it. In order to reach it properly I would have to remove my hat, which allow the bothersome sun to pool its light into my retinas. I couldn't be bothered with such nonsense. I layed for hours out on that veranda, day in and day out, wasting my summer. It had never occurred to me that such interesting things were happening right inside my house. "Amanda!" someone called my name from inside the kitchen. I groaned in annoyance as I lifted myself off the chair. Daddy's voice sounded angry though, so I best not test him today, I thought. The kitchen was bathed in red. It was on the floor, all over the floor, and on Daddy's hand. And on Daddy's gun...
I continue to walk.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Story Time! : Asphalt
Posted by Caitlin at 10:40 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
This story is brilliant (Sorry about the late post, but you know how much trouble the word verification os to me) In fact it has inspired me to write a poem about it.
oooo, cant wait to read it. Im redoing it though for our creative writing project...and i like that one better
Post a Comment